The church of St Remigius Water Newton, in its idyllic setting among the trees beside the bank of the River Nene, is mentioned in the Doomsday Book survey of 1086. 12th century stones have been reused or built into later walls, but nothing of this date remains in-situ. The church chancel and nave were rebuilt in the 13th century and the aisles added in the 14th century. There was considerable essential restoration work in the Victorian era between 1887 and 1892. The church has many interesting features including a Roman coffin, a niche with a medieval figure in the tower external west wall and an effigy from c1300. St Remigius, was bishop of Rheims and was responsible for the conversion of Clovis, King of the Franks in AD496. Water Newton is world famous because of the discovery in 1975 of the 4th century Water Newton Treasure at the site of the nearby Roman town of Durobrivae, in the parish. The treasure is the earliest known Christian mass silver in the world and is now in the British Museum.
Details of Services and Contacts
Water Newton Church is in a benefice of the six village churches including Castor, Sutton, Marholm, Upton and Stibbington; parish office 01733 380900, parish priest 01733 380244. website www.castorchurch.co.uk
Friends of St Remigius Church Water Newton
The Friends of St Remigius Church Water Newton is a group founded in 2012 to help with the care and repair of the building. For the friends website, go to www.castorchurch.co.uk and then the Water Newton button or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev (1) WB2013